Skip to main content

Day 4, part 2

I am glad to see the sun after walking out of Vault 106. It had been a depressing visit, as I had to kill many crazed survivors. I am glad I am finally out of there.

I saw a building to the north, two stories. May have been a Bed and Breakfast once. I decided to check it out. Before I even got close, I got fired at. Raiders! I returned dove behind some rocks and took cover. There seems to be only two or three firing, but I know there would be more raiders approaching with melee weapons. I decided to wait for them, but it seems Dogmeat has other ideas. Before I can call him back, he's off. I jumped up after him, guns already seeking target, as the raiders and their own dog concentrated on Dogmeat.

Time started to slow as adrenaline kicked in along with VATS targeting.  One guy has a flamer. He had to go first. Two bursts for him, then a third burst for the guy with the assault rifle. Rat-tat-tat, rat-tat-tat. The flamer guy's head busted into pieces, and he collapsed. His buddies didn't even notice. They did notice the next burst which tore the assault rifle out of the other guy's hand and slammed him against the wall. Now they turned toward me, and two started angling toward me.

I flipped the selector to full auto and sprayed the two raiders with bullets. I emptied the magazine, but they went down like bowling pins, splattering the ground with red. Dogmeat has dispatched the wounded guy. That leaves one or two unaccounted for.

I quickly reloaded and looked for movement, just as a bullet struck the rock next to me. The guy's on the 2nd floor shooting down at me! I ducked behind the rock and pulled the pin on the grenade, making sure Dogmeat isn't heading that way, and lobbed the grenade. I can hear the raider going "Oh SHIT!" and jumped, but he was too late, as the explosion tossed him like a stuntman, except there are no cushions to catch him.

Wait, stuntman? Where did I learn that?

The final guy tried to run, but Dogmeat caught him from behind, and in moments, it was over.

Looted and scavenged what's left there, including the bodies. The raiders actually built a decent camp here, with ramps leading up to what's left of the building and all. The assault rifle provided parts to fix up Wanda a bit. Took the rest of the loot and cached it nearby.  The place was indeed a B&B. The sign read Kaelyn's, but it's defiled by raider graffiti. 

After a little rest, plus food and drink with Dogmeat, I headed further north. Came upon a baseball field, and there actually are bats and balls around... except for the bodies tied to the fence around home plate.  Sign says Fordham field.  Saw a large billboard further uphill. Turns out it wasn't a billboard, but a movie projection screen. This was a drive-in cinema. The attendant's booth says Moonbeam Outdoor Cinema, though I had to guess at some of the characters.

Had to shoot a radscorpion and two molerats.

Walked further north, and noticed something odd in the rocks ahead.  It seems to be an entrance. I stepped inside, and it was a cave. I found a note near the entrance that mentioned someone named Hamilton. As I came out of Vault 106 not too long ago, I decided there would be no more spelunking today. I noted the location as "Hamilton's Hideout", and decided to come back later.

I explored further north and saw a church, the cross was visible. Unfortunately, the spikes nearby indicated this is supermutant territory. And there's also a cemetery next to the church.

I got a bit closer, and the muties spotted me. I quick tossed a grenade and it sent the mutie flying. Then an even bigger supermutant walked around the church... Is that a... laser gatling? Then I dove behind a tree as laser bolts flew all over the place,  Smaller trees splintered, but the big tree withstood a few hits. I ducked out and tossed two grenades at the boss mutant. Took a few hits, but the armor held. Had to use a third grenade to finish off the mutie boss and his lieutenant. A fourth mutie charged me with a nailboard, but I switched back to Wanda and shot his head off before it can get close.

I approached the church slowly, and surprised there was a human inside. Human female, held captive. A dead human lie next to her. Apparently I interrupted the muties butchering their captives for food. I checked the area for traps, then walked over to the captive and cut her bindings off. She tried to give me some supplies, but I told her to keep them. I got plenty. Then she's gone.

I looted the area, as I really want that laser gatling. Unfortunately, I can't hit anything with it. I can wield it, but my big guns skill sucks. Apparently the church was known as Hallowed Moors, from what's left of the signage on the walls.

With the sun past noon, it's time to head toward Arefu. I followed the road West, only to have it turn south. Followed another road westward, and came upon the Metro Station called Seneca Northwest, or is that Northwest Seneca. I checked inside a station, and only found a friendly ghoul by the name of Murphy and his assistant/bouncer Barrett, also a ghoul. He wants sugarbomb snacks, which, combined with the chem "jet", can make something he dubbed "ultrajet". I said if I ever find a lot of it, I'll bring some.

I went into a grocer for some food, shot a few roaches, then continued toward Arefu, which is due south.

Then I realized I'm on the wrong side of the highway. I can see it, but the entrance to the town is to the SOUTH across the river. I had to detour to find a suitable place to cross, then walk back to the freeway, and up the ramp.

I can see how the place got its name. Over the freeway, there was a sign that said something else. The first and last letters are illegible, leaving "AREFU".

I walked up the ramp, and I can see an older guy guarding the town. I put my rifle away and walked up when he drew his arm back. What the...  I dove for the ground as I realized he just tossed a grenade. Fortunately, it landed way short of me and I took no damage.  Dogmeat was about to charge, but I whistled and called him back.

"What the hell!  Do I even LOOK hostile to you?! Who did you think I was?" I yelled.

"Sorry! Just get over here!"  He waved me in. I ran into the perimeter, and it was eeriely quiet.

The man did not look my way, and just said, "My name is Evan King. I am the mayor and sheriff of Arefu, and right now, the only defender."

"Defend against what?" I asked.

"The Family. A bunch of lowlife gangers who've been giving us a hell of a lot of toruble lately. We lost our brahmin herd down near the shed All the citizens are running scared. I had to watch the approach and I can't do a welfare check on the residents. Tell you what, you check on them, and report back to me. Just do it in order. Third door is mine, so skip it. Tell them Evan King sent you. "

I opened my mouth and was about to point out I'm a much better shot and is better armed, but... never mind.  It seems Mr. King wanted to hog the glory all by himself. Fine. I doubt he can see anything with those old squinty eyes any way.

"I got a letter here from Lucy West to her family?"

"That's the last house you need to check. You can give it to them then."

I walked up and knocked on the first door I see. A female voice answered.

"Hello? Is this the mailman? Oh I do hope my fall catalog has arrived!"

WTF?! I frowned. Evan King is clearly not firing on all thrusters. Now, another one?

"Huh? What are you talking about? Evan King sent me."

"Oh, Evan! He's such a gentleman. Wait, let me unlatch the door for you."

I heard the deadbolt slid home, then the door opened a crack. Before I can take a step, an angry male voice called out, "Who the heck are you?"

I just answered calmly, "Evan King told me to check on you. Is everything okay?"

"We're great. Just peachy. I love sitting in my house with my thumb up my ass!"  The guy's angry tone matched his sarcastic wit. I'll bet you he can't really fight either.

The woman chimed in, "Brailee Ewers is the name. Don't mind my husband Kenneth. he woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning!"

Frankly, between a spaced out woman and a gruff man, I prefer the latter.

I shrugged and said, "Well, since you two seem perfectly fine, I'll go check on the others."

"Yeah, whatever."  The door closed.

I just shook my head. This town is mental.

I went to the next door and knocked, "Hello? Evan King sent me."

A young woman's voice answered, "Oh, he did? Well it's about damn time he did something!"

The door slid open a hair, and a pretty young woman's face can be seen.

"It's perfectly safe now, at least." I assured her, "Is everything okay?"

"I'm Karen Schenzy. I'm glad King's checking on us. But until someone nips the problem in the bud, we may as well stay inside forever."  Karen scowled.

I lowered my voice, "So, what's your take on Evan King?"

She practically spat, "He's a spineless wimp. His best solution to the Family is to stay inside our homes and hide. What does that tell them?"

"So what really happened?"

"Some young punks with guns fired a few shot at us a few nights ago. Didn't see them coming. Evan ordered everyone to stay inside and lock our doors. He's the only one with a gun any way.  He heard some shouting, fired a few shots, and it all went quiet. Next day, Evan told us that the brahmin we had down there at the shed is dead. I heard Evan took a couple shots for the next few nights, but personally, I think he's shooting at shadows."

I nodded. At least this town has at least one person who's not cuckoo.

"Thanks, I better check on the others."

"Next door down is King's house, skip that. Just check that last door, that'd be the West family residence."

"Thanks again."

The door closed, and I continued on. As I passed King's door, I had an urge to open it, but it's locked, and my lockpick skills aren't that good.

I went to the last door and knocked. "Evan King sent me. Is everything all right?"

Dogmeat started whining, and I knocked again. Nothing.

I pulled out my gun, and tried the door. It wasn't locked. WTF?

I nudge the door open with my gun, and inside was... not pleasant. A man lie on the ground, obviously dead, and a woman's eyes looked up at the ceiling. She's dead too.

Dogmeat didn't make a sound, so there are no hostiles in the area. But I checked the shed anyway. It was indeed empty except for these two corpses, whom I presume to be the Wests. The place shows signs of a physical struggle, things are all over the floor, but there were no bullet holes.

Then I noticed the bite marks on the woman's throat. WTF?  I turned the man over, and saw the same toothmarks. Did some animal get in? Not finding anything else, I left the bodies where they are.

I went back to Karen Schenzy's house and knocked again, "Hi Karen. Need to ask you about something."

Karen cracked the door open, "Sure. What's going on?"

"The Wests are dead."

"WHAT?! Oh my God..."

"I saw two bodies on the ground. Older man and woman. They are both quite dead."

"But, but... what about Alan?"

"Who's Alan?"

"Alan West! Their son!"

"There was supposed to be a third person?"

"YES! Did..."

"There were only two bodies."

"So he's not dead?"

"That we know of."

"Dammit! Evan King needs to hunt those bastards down! If King had my back, I'd step outside and show those Fmaily bastards how I feel about their visits..."

"I'll go talk to King."

"Be safe, okay?"

I nodded, and she bolted the door again.

I walked over to King, and quietly told him that Ewers are fine, Schenzy's fine, but the Wests are dead... but only two bodies.

King sighed, "Davis and Matilda are good people. Not too sure about Alan, but he's a young kid. The shit's about to hit the fan in this cesspool, and I don't think I can stop them. Not if the Family got past me in the dead of night, killed the Wests, and spirited Alan away."

"But what about the letter?"

"I can't take that, kid. Tell you what. I ain't got anything, and I can't leave this place. This town needs me. Why don't you check out the Family for me? I can't pay you, other than from my stash of alcohol."

"What makes you so sure it was The Family?"

"Who else can it be? They're the only ones who bothered us!"

"Any ideas on where I can find this 'Family'?"

"I'm pretty sure they are to the northeast of here. I saw them leaving in that direction. I'd check Hamilton's Hideout, Moonbeam Cinema, or Northwest Seneca Metro."

I just nodded, as I've been to all three places and there's no signs of anything there. I decided to go ask Murphy if he knew anything about the Family.

With no further information to be had, as King just mumbled on about his "responsibilities" to the town and the Family is the source of all evil, I left for Northwest Seneca station.


Comments