Skip to main content

Day 3, Part 2

I started walk north east toward Regulator HQ. I crossed the bridge north of Springvale school, and kept walking, mostly retracing my steps. I came upon a few raiders at the river's edge, and dispatched them easily. Their throwing spears are no match to my bullets.  Found a scavenger on the way, but he had very few caps. It was almost noon when I arrived at Regulator HQ.  Had to shoot some vicious dogs on the way. I salvaged the dogmeat.

Sonora didn't have much to say other than good job for the fingers I had collected. Regulators do not have a communications network per se and often some of us simply never reported in again. Apparently a few were lost to the west, which is supermutant country.

I asked if she's heard of the scrapyard, and she said there's something to the east southeast of us. I thanked her and started walking.

On the way, I found a wastelander corpse with a note about sorry, train car, and secret stash inside half of a bus. There's a corpse of a gecko nearby. Guess they killed each other.

As I started over this hill, I saw heaps of old cars, and a dog barking loudly. I can also hear raiders. I charged down the slope, and just as I rounded this heap of cars, I saw the last raider go down, and this dog has like 4 raider corpses arrayed around it.

I put my gun away, crouched, and approached the dog slowly. The dog's muzzle is splattered with blood, but the dog did not attack. The dog did bark, but it was more of a greeting bark. (How did I know that?)  I held out my fist and let him smell me (How did I know to do that?) and he licked me. I pulled various food I had gathered and try to entice it to eat some, but he just looked. I started naming the ingredients, and when I said dogmeat, he barked.

"So your name is Dogmeat?"

He double barked. Very well, Dogmeat it is.  I found his former owner in a train car, with a narrow gap to get in. It was cozy, but not very well protected. I left him there, as there's nothing in the train car really worth looting, just a bunch of gentleman's magazines. 

I explored the junkyard, and Dogmeat followed me. There were no other enemies around me. I salvaged a .308 sniper rifle from the place and a few rounds of ammo. And I found the stash mentioned in the note I found. It was a bunch of books. I'll have to read them later.

One of the objectives from Moira was to scout Minefield, where travelers do not go for fear of stepping on mines. Very well, Minefield is not that far, roughly to the north. According to Moira, I need to reach the playground. Interesting...

I decided to stick to the road, as it's easier to see the landmines that way. About an hour later, I stepped into Minefield. The main road was littered with broken cars and broken houses. I saw no mines near the first house, and I stepped inside. Dead raider, probably crawled in here to die. I did get a bad feeling. I explored both upstairs and downstairs, but there wasn't much there.

I went back outside, crouched, and considered my tactical situation. I can sweep the mines, by shooting them or by defusing them. Defusing them will be risky. Just then in corner of my eye I saw something move far ahead. I aimed my new sniper rifle, trying to see the target, when I heard the sound of a bullet striking the car I'm crouched behind. The car started burning.

"Oh ****!"

I turned and ran, and the explosion blew me another 6 feet and left me sprawling. Fortunately, I was not seriously hurt except my pride. That was no mine. Someone shot at the car hulk and it exploded... deliberately. Now I'm a bit pissed off. I told Dogmeat to stay. I had to do this alone.

I turned back and scanned the horizon, esp. to top floors of various buildings, and I finally caught some movement. An older bald guy, in wasteland garb, is on the third floor of a building's ruins. He has a sniper rifle in hand, but he's not looking through the scope. Maybe he figured he got me?

I looked carefully through the scope. The lessons from Uncle Owen came back. First find a stable platform. Second, aim, even if you have drift. Third, when the crosshair matches the target, shoot.

I slowly breathed out, and concentrated on the scope. The crosshair drifted, and I can see where the drfit would stop. I left that spot on the man, 3 stories above. When the rifle stopped on that point, I pressed the trigger. The stock slammed my shoulder, and I lost sight of the target. I reacquired, but he was no longer there. Did I hit, or miss?

I waited, but there was no more sighting of him. I steered clear of all the cars, then carefully disarmed a mine as Moira wanted an example. Then I stepped back and shot at each one with my hunting rifle. I proceed carefully around the playground, and onto the building I saw the sniper. Had to sweep several mines off the ground, and accidentally tripped on one too. Ouch. Walked upstairs, and found the man, face up, surprise still on his face. I found his diary. Apparently his family were military refugees that can't be in a vault, and they settled in a town, until Paradise Falls slavers got them, all except him. He swore revenge and setup this town as if had been lived in, so the slavers would come, but the place is full of landmines, and he sniped them too. After taking heavy casualties, no one ever came back except some stupid raiders. And soon, nobody wanted to approach this place.

Well, except me, and I solved the riddle. Sorry, Arkansas.

I carefully looted each house, watching for mines. I then retrieved Dogmeat, and went back to Megaton.

Comments