Skip to main content

Day 4, Part 1

I woke up and stretched from the bed in the Common room in Megaton. It seems Dogmeat was already up, but he's waiting patiently by the bed. I gave him a pat and shared some food and water. Then it's the armor and the pack back on, while I put my armor and backpack back on, and ready my weapons. It's time to get to work.

Today, I'm heading northwest toward the town of Arefu. It's supposed to be pretty easily recognizable, but it seems pretty far.

I walked by Springvale and cut through the rocks. I thought I saw a door in the middle of the rock, but I suspected it was a vault. I have a package to deliver.

I continued northwest, only finding occasional beasts like vicious dogs and molerats to slay. Actually found a baby molerat, but not even Dogmeat want to play with it. Dogmeat just whined.

Kept on walking, and actually saw... almost nothing, until I came across another sign, that it had to be a  vault. It even has the sign "fallout shelter" on the outside.

I've always wondered what one looks like from the inside. I turned to Dogmeat, "What do you say, buddy, shall we explore this one?"

"Woof!"

We headed in. The main door was not open, but the controls are right there. I pulled the lever, and after a lot of rumbling and motor whining, the big vault door rumbled open.

Nothing. Nobody in the corridor.

Something is definitely not right.

I walked on, slower, and Dogmeat even seems subdued. Then I heard running steps. Then two men wearing vault 106 jumpsuits appeared around the corner. But one was holding a shovel, the other a baseball bat.  And upon seeing me, they charged.

I held out my hands, palm out, "Wait! Hold up! I mean you guys no harm!"  But they did not stop. And almost as if they are coordinated, they both swung at me from opposite sides.

Dogmeat jumped into action first. He body checked the baseball bat one and the swing was interrupted. I managed to jump inside the swing of a shovel and got my hands on the shaft, holding him at bay, while yelling "Stop fighting! I don't want to fight! What's wrong with you?!" But his eyes are full of madness and rage as if he had no reason to live other than to fight.

Then I heard bat struck a body, and Dogmeat whimpered. Just then, the guy I was holding found a burst of strength and actually threw me off, and ready to swing again.

F*** this.

I pulled out the Chinese officer's sword and sliced up in a diagonal, cutting through his hand's tendons. The shovel sagged, and my follow-up cut on the reverse slit his throat. Blood splattered.

I ran toward Dogmeat and the other combatant, as they wearily circled each other, and before the other guy can react, I stabbed him through the heart from the back.  He collapsed face down.

"Sorry I'm late, bud. Here, have a stimpak."  I injected Dogmeat with the heal factors, "Extra rations tonight. And now, we'll just shoot them. Okay?"

I just get a bark back. Seems Dogmeat is not happy with me.

I pulled out my Wanda assault rifle and set it to semi-auto. I checked their pockets, but other than the Vault 106 jumpsuit and their blunt melee weapons, they got NOTHING.

We explored the eerily quiet corridors. I found a note under a book, and it says something about the air tastes different. Come to think of it, some parts of this area, the air did smell a bit different...

Who the f*** is that? Uncle Owen? It can't be... He's dead...  I blinked again, and the image was gone. WTF... was I hallucinating?

Then three more survivors rushed us, but I put a round into each before they can get within 10 ft. But even crippled, they still tried to attack me. Short of shooting their limbs off, they are completely homicidal.  I just put them out of their misery.

Went through place room by room, found a couple notes, and it was clear that something went on this vault that drove the inhabitants out of their minds.  There are terminal entries that documented the madness, and the security bulletin posted. And I had to kill a couple more survivors. They are all insane.

And I hallucinated a couple more times. WTF?  Papa?  Is that you?  It's in the air.  I know it is.

Came upon a few locked doors. I figure I'll find a key later? Or not?

I kept exploring and entered a science lab of some sort. Then a guy in a lab coat and baseball bat rushed me. I shot him, and he disappeared! WTF?  But no, that's no hallucination... there was a blood splatter on the floor...  Wait, something shimmered ahead...

I fired three times into the shimmer.

The shimmer collapsed back into a dead man. The guy in the lab coat.

I searched the body, but he had nothing. I searched the room, and came up with a keycard.

Came upon a hole in the wall, and a cave, and a few skeletons at the end... and a mini-nuke Were they trying to dig their way out?  Didn't Moira mention something about keeping a mini-nuke to dig a well? I'm sure it'd do great digging tunnels... Unless they collapse on you.

Went back to try the various locked doors, and one of them opened. It appears to be overseer's office. And his terminal proved not that difficult to hack... And it did tell the story... Apparently, the vault was selected as test vault for psycho-active gases. And there was no way to exit the vault (no control panel on the inside to open the vault doors).  Ouch. Well, perhaps I did send the folks who died at my hands to a better place instead of getting endless torment in this world if there is an afterlife.

Time to get out of here.

I walked all the way back to the entrance, and with a heavy heart, closed the vault door, hopefully for the final time. I left a note at the entrance, but I doubt anyone would bother reading it.

Time to resume the wandering.

Comments