Skip to main content

Day 5, part 1

I woke up with best sleep that I can recall. While the bed is kinda lumpy, it's mine, and the door even locks. And I'm sure Wadsworth the handy bot has a few tricks against intruders.

Dogmeat was up and I put some water in a dish and we shared some food from the stash in the fridge, which even comes stocked with a few bits of food. We'll need more, but we salvage plenty.

Any way... Need to find the kid, and the Family seems to be the only clue. And Murphy said they've been seen at Mresti train yards.

I dropped off any extra loot in the locker, told Wadsworth to guard, and left with Dogmeat.

Mresti Trainyards turns out to be directly east from Hamtilton's Hideout, and almost directly due north from Springvale school.  We had to kill a couple more raiders when we walked by Kaelyn's.

It was almost noon when we arrived at Mresti train yard. The fences enclosed areas with old railroad cars. The only thing interesting is the two rail tunnels. I took the door and entered. I walked slowly, as the area may have traps, and I was not disappointed when I came across tripwires, baseball pitching machines, and more. Even a few dead mirelurks and whatnot. I followed the tunnel, and finally came upon a light and a checkpoint.

"Hold it right there!"  the guard challenged.

I was not holding a weapon, so I spread my arms wide, indicating I'm not armed, "Roger Wilco, to see the Family about the West kid."

The guy wears a goatee with bandana and decent combat armor.  "No visitors."  He stated flatly.

I held up the letter from Lucy West, "I have a letter from his sister."

The guy shook his head, but relented, "Come on through then, but you need to talk to Vance."  He gestured toward the cross-tunnel behind him. Go through there, then toward the station. Talk to Vance. He'll know what to do with you."

I nodded, "Thank you." And walked past him. He had a lot of equipment laid open on tables in the corridor, but I did not dare touch any.

I walked almost to the end of the tunnel, and turned back.

Robert was still watching me, and his eyes glowed an eerie blue. Apparently Murphy wasn't kidding.

I followed the tunnel and ended up in the Mresti Metro station, where the tracks are paved over with wood planks, and chairs lined the area, and several people, both male and female, and walking about.  One female came over, and with an interesting lilt, introduced herself as Brianna. I asked about Vance. She pouted, and pointed up the escalators.

I walked up the escalators, and found who must be Vance (a little older than others) talking with others. I approached and observed. He wears a longcoat that looks similar to my duster, but he wears a... fuel tank? and a fire weapon? Is this the "shishkabob" weapon I've heard about?

"Greetings. My people call me Vance. I lead this group of wearing travelers and outcasts who need a home."

"I am Roger Wilco. This place is quite different from the other settlements I've seen."

"It is a sanctuary for the oppressed and a beacon of faith for the tyrannized."

I almost rolled my eyes at the grandiose language, but I managed to control myself. I just gestured Vance to continue his rhetoric.

"I led my flock beneath the sun-baked sands of the Wasteland to keep them safe and teach them my ways."

"Are you reforming them?"

Vance scowled, "Reform implies there is something wrong with the way they are." Then that scowl is gone, "I prefer my teachings to be seen as more of an improvement, a way to transcend our cannibalistic nature."

I squinted, as I can see where this conversation is going. "If you are no longer cannibals, what do I call you?"

Vance positively beamed, "Ah, your open-mindedness is very rare for a human. I find that fascinating. But what would you have called us?"

I did not hesitate, "Vampires, of course. You drink blood, rather than consume flesh. Or at least, you follow their fictional traditions."

"I have reined in their cravings and taught them to eat not of the flesh, but to drink of the blood," Vance is back to lecture mode again.

I interrupted, "And from your explanations and my personal observations... I am assuming that the young West had succumbed to his cannibalistic instincts, killed his parents, but what happened after that?"

For a moment, Vance looks pained, but that expression passed, "The young man did succumb to his urges, but I was able to stop him from going all the way with no way back. He is now in meditation, and should not be disturbed. "

"I have another question."

"Please ask."

"Where do you get the blood?"

Again, Vance's expression pained for a moment, "We use bloodpacks when they are available, and we do sometimes feed on the living, but we do not kill mankind, unless we are provoked. And we do try to compensate the donor when we can."

I just nodded, then another topic occurred to me.

"Evan King of Arefu insisted that the Family is to blame for the death of their town brahmin. Is that true?"

"A most regrettable incident. It will not happen again."  Vance waved his hand, "Let us eat. Please join us below, while we can explain to you what the five laws mean to us. Each of us recites the laws and allow them to guide us."

I nodded, sensing that no further discussions are possible now.

We walked down and joined the others at the bench tables where we enjoyed squirrel bits and mutfruit and some canned stuff. Other members introduced themselves. Vance and Brianna I've met. Holly, Vance's wife, introduced herself. Then Justin, Alan, and Karl introduced themselves. Justin and Alan are the rookies. Karl mentioned that he's the merchant, and invited me to check out his wares after the meal.

Then Vance lead the group in reciting their laws.

Feast not on the flesh, consume only the blood. This is our strength. 

Bear not the child; welcome only the exile. This is our fate.

Feed not for pleasure, partake only to nourish. This is our dignity. 

Seek not the sun's light; embrace only the shadows. This is our refuge.

Kill not our kindred; slay only the enemy. This is our justice. 

Vance pointed to the terminal in the corner to me, "You can read about our five laws there, or ask any of us if you have any more questions."

We ate, and it wasn't any different from any other communal eating.  After the meal, Vance took Alan aside for some lessons, and I went with Karl to check out his wares.

We walked to his corner of the station, and it is an impressive collection of stuff. In fact, inventory level here is better than even Moira's Craterside Supplies. But it's such a pain to get to... Wait... If only the Family members visit here, who does he sell the stuff to? I noticed something during the meal too. Karl seems to only pay lip service to Vance, and smirks when Vance was in his "preacher/teacher" mode.

After trading in some of the loot stored on Dogmeat, I asked Karl about the Ian West. He just sneered, "That little punk. Do I look like a f***ing babysitter?"

Decided that Karl can be pushed, and after making sure there was no one who can see us, I grabbed his lapels and pulled him out from behind the counter, and now we're nose to nose, and said in a low and threatening tone, "I am going to kick your ass all over this metro station if you don't tell me all you know about young West there."

There was real panic in his eyes, but he tried to brush it off, "Finally! Someone with some balls around this place!"

I let him go slowly, and there was a spark of something in his eyes... Is he into this stuff? Not that I swing that way, but...  Suddenly I realized something.

"Did you kill the Brahmin at Arefu?"

Karl's eyes flickered all over, "How... how did you know?"

"It's pretty obvious. Everybody else is fond of Vance, except you... and you seem to have the best appetite at the meal, which suggests you're not really here for the blood, or you don't need as much as the others."

Karl sighed, "Yes, I got bored and I wanted some brahmin meat and wanted a real steak, a nice juicy bloody steak, not all this blah blah sermon.  And I need his permission to keep my shop open, as I'm way too big to move anywhere else.

I pushed Karl back so he's back on his feet behind his counter. He straightened his outfit, then whispered the password to the locked room in my ear.

I replied in a similar low voice, "Thank you for your cooperation."

Karl fidgeted a little, then whispered, "Uh, do you want to uh..."

I smiled, "Sorry, I don't play that way. But if I do come across a guy like that, I'll... mention you. Okay?"

Karl just nodded, looking like a boy who lost his best toy.

I turned away. I have a letter to deliever.





Comments